Saturday, November 22, 2008

My Voice

I’m really fed up with my voice, especially when someone wants me to repeat again because they didn’t hear it clearly or they didn’t even hear a sound.

I usually become nervous during presentation because I always worry whether my voice can reach the listeners. If not loud, I need to increase but it’ll seem to be like shouting. And, of course, it’s not good to shout to your classmates and teacher who are trying their best to listen to you patiently.

During my weekly oral presentation which occurs on Sunday, I’m the one who always is commented as lady-like by my tutor, Mr. Hew. I try to make my voice louder to be stronger but I always end up to be disappointed because he will say:” Tian Xin, please improve it. Make it louder! Your voice sounds too lady-like.” Grr…

Currently, I’m working as a showroom promoter at M.V.. I dare not to greet customers sometimes when they enter the shop while I’m standing at the counter which is 4m far away from them. If I want to ensure they hear it, I need to increase my volume and this may sound like shouting.

Also, sometimes I dare not to tell the customers that we are having sales now when they enter. When I say, “We’re having 20% discount now on all items.” In return, most of them will reply: “Huh?” And, I know I need to repeat again.

Sometimes it happens even in a funny way, just like today. When a customer entered, I said: “ Welcome, we’re having…” I hadn’t finished my words but her greeting had covered my voice. You guess what? She just said Hello and I needed to repeat my words again because she wasn’t able to hear my voice due to her one-word of greeting which had covered one sentence of mine. Swt… I know it because after greeting me, she asked me whether there’s discount.

No comments:

Post a Comment